Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Aspirational Heroes

I will admit when I first learned of superheroes the aspirational hero did not interest me. My favorite was Spider-Man and I enjoyed the Punisher. When I first got my hands on some comics I read Suicide Squad or Secret Avengers. Spies, Anti-Heroes, or Heroes who started out not as perfect but inspired by tragedy and struggles to stay in the fight and not just throw it away. I kind of liked the struggle the imperfection, the secrecy, and they were under no obligation to save everyone which allowed for body counts.

I still do like Spider-Man these days, but now a hero who I had no interest in originally has become one of my favorites, Superman. Originally I didn't care or know who Billy Batson or Captain America was but now I've been reading up on both of them. All three have something in common, they are all Aspirational heroes. Heroes who inspire and do not have internal struggles, they fight for what's right because it is right and that is all the reason they need. Some had tragedy in their life and others didn't but what's unite them is they are optimistic, friendly, and dutiful. 

Aspirational heroes on the surface are called boring because they don't change or struggle, some call them unrealistic and if you are Superman you are just called the worst of both worlds due to having the blue plate special of superpowers. I understand why many people see them that way, we all have flaws. We all mess up and sometimes let our emotions overwhelm us. It may not be easy to stand firm or be dedicated to a moral code and desire an emotional catharsis. To make someone or something pay for what happened to us all understandable. 

But that is why Aspirational heroes exist to show that it is possible to stand by a moral code and not fall to one's baser instincts. One can inspire a reader that even with dark times or personal loss we can still be better people. That there is hope that people can be redeemed or stay good people and not be corrupted by personal vices or failures. If written correctly they can be great and memorable characters after all we have many of them, even if currently they are being drowned out by darker ones. 

My new found love for aspirational heroes reason is why I created Star Warden. To add to the list of straight-up heroes. Considering how 2020 has been it looks like people need some hope and heroism in their lives. I certainly would like some and I'm going to write some. The best part about these heroes you can put them in the brightest setting or the darkest timeline. Because heroism is timeless and universal. 



1 comment:

  1. Yus, its a good start. I'll add this to my Superversive Playlist on the channel as well.

    ReplyDelete