Thursday, January 27, 2022

Star Warden 2.5: TD'S Chapter 8

 


Peace lay on the medical table trying to avoid looking at himself. There wasn't much left of him outside of a torso. It only reminded him that he was more machine now than faerie. Twisted and evil as far he was concerned. His body had become a weapon with the name of Peace. Only chosen because it was the first word he could think of.

The door slid open as Sam and Kaguya walked in. Peace felt a burst of embarrassment as they saw him in this state. He already didn't like that the local medics saw him like this. 

I am not decent,” he said.

Sam playfully covered Kaguya's eyes. “Is that better?”

Peace sighed. “If you've come to know my condition. Know that I am being treated well and that you have no need for concern. I've been told that the replacement parts are currently being fabricated.”

Kaguya removed Sam's hands from her eyes. “That is wonderful news, Sir Peace. I pray that you recover swiftly.”

Princess. Would you leave us the room?”

Of course.” Kaguya excused herself from the room.

Warden. Do you believe in signs and omens?”

I would say yes. Why?”

While I was unconscious I had a dream. A dream of my life. There was darkness, battle, and nothing more.”

I've heard your life is supposed to flash before your eyes when one is near death. Did you see a sign in it?”

Yes and no.” The cyborg's voice was heavy with concern and fear. “I saw only the blackness of the void. But I believe that was the sign. Nothingness. A warning of what I am and what I will face in the hereafter. Did you ever have this fear during your own meeting with death?”

I did,” Sam said somberly. “I felt that I had failed before I could even start. It was the worse fear I felt since my mother's death. To be utterly helpless unable to protect family, unable to protect anyone. Unable to do any more good in the world.”

He sat down on a nearby stool and made himself eye level to Peace.

How did you escape this fear,” Peace asked.

I didn't. To this day I'm still afraid. Not a day goes by where I wonder if this is the day it ends. But if I don't act the consequences will fall on innocent people before me. So, I pray, take a deep breath, and walk into the valley of death.”

You use a larger fear to motivate you to brave your other fears.”

That's one way to look at it. Though I prefer to be motivated by doing good rather than the fear of evil. Is fear your motivation, Peace?”

Vengeance is my motivation.” His voice was firm in conviction. Then a second later he said voice wavering. “Yet now it feels hollow. Even if I were to succeed in my quest, how would I go on afterward? I have no wife or family or purpose. There is nothing for me after this war.”

If you let it be that way sure. If you want that to change you have to seek out those things.”

How?” Peace sounded nearly desperate.

That's up to you. My advice is that you build something. Something that will last long after you pass on.”

Kaguya knocked on the door. “Pardon the interruption. But we are running short on time.”

On the way.” He turned back to Peace. “Duty calls. I'll check up on you when I can.” Sam walked to the door. “Oh, before I forget. You do have a family. There right here whenever you need them.”

Peace was confused at that statement. But as the door closed behind Sam it suddenly clicked in his head. He made a soft smile. Understanding that he did have a family, even if they did not share blood or species.

Chapter 9

Chapter 7

No comments:

Post a Comment