Friday, March 26, 2021

Star Warden 2: RQ Interlude 3

 

To Rule them All.

Nightshade flew into one of the many workshops to find her master tirelessly at work on a machine. Though his physical body was not present the drones and remote manipulators worked tirelessly. The workshop tables were covered by an unpainted variation of a SWAT-bot. Weapons fire could be heard in another part of the workshop, which made the she-dragon smile. New weapons meant new ways to hurt people.

“Burning the midnight oil again on something painful I hope,” she asked.

The next-generation of SWAT-bot. Mark 2,” Daimos said through the room's audio system. “You normally don't care to watch me work. What brings you down here?”

Just curious. Wanted to know what's your next move. Now you got the galactic conquest things down.”

Oh, there is much to do. I have a government to organize, laws to write, and people to suppress. But my immediate goal is to secure the Spellbinder hardware in the Unicorn Kingdom.”

Nightshade titled her head to the side. “I thought we already got the Spellbinder thing?”

This is cleaning up loose ends. I refuse to take a chance that the Star Warden is unaware of its existence. He manages to grab survival from the jaws of defeat far too often for my liking. Even if he is oblivious to another Spellbinder on this world. It would put me at ease knowing I have it secured.”

Guess it wouldn't hurt to have a backup system.”

No it never does. It also helps that we now know one of the Rings is in the Kingdom as well. Thank you Father Bruno for your generous contribution.” The Dark Lord laughed. “All I need to do is wait until they return to fae form. Then soon I will have the first ring.”

I wonder what damage you could do with one of those things.” Nightshade hissed in anticipation. She didn't understand these Cosmic Rings but something powerful had to cause mass destruction.

Ah, Nightshade. Your dedication to mindless destruction never ceases to amuse me.” Daimos stated in only a partly sarcastic manner. He did enjoy her love for destruction. It was simple and straightforward. Plus she had some interesting commentary or a good dose of black humor to share that seems to stem from this enjoyment.

Sadly, my friend. I will not be using the ring myself.”

She squawked. “What!?”

The Archives reveal there is a certain security measure that only allows those of royal Tuatha blood to use them.”

Can't you just remove the security feature?”

I could but that would leave it open to anyone for use. If I ever lose the ring in battle it could be turned against me. That is why I plan to make my own ring.”

A hologram of a solid black ring with unknown runes and a gold photonic crystal manifested in the room.

I will download the command codes from all the rings. Giving my ring the power to control the Codex and with it the Well-of-All Stars. The white ring will be destroyed or otherwise locked away beyond the reach of my enemies. Then there shall be only one ring. One ring to rule them all!”

An evil laugh rang in the room then echoed as a hidden doorway opened up. Daimos's body walked through. Once again he was dressed in an impeccable red military uniform. But leaving his robotic feet and hands visible. One other change was the clasps for his cape, they were now yellow bullheads.

Oh, new body?”

No, simply just re-designed my uniform. I want to look presentable as I accept my new post as President.”

President?”

President of the Stygian Domain. My new glorious machine republic.”

What happened to the whole Emperor and God-Tyrant thing?”

I am still a Tyrant. But I had time to think about the title of Emperor and I find it beneath me.”

Does this decision involves some long speech concerning philosophy, politics, and religion in any way?”

Why yes, it does.”

Okay that's all I need to hear. You don't need to bore me. You know what you're doing.”

Daimos scratched her chin causing her to hiss in pleasure. “Ah, Nightshade. So utterly simple-minded. But you are utterly loyal so that counts for something.”

I am also utterly hungry. A nap will do that to you.”

Then I'll make sure you have a plate of your favorite ready for you. In the meantime I have propaganda posters to work on.”

Daimos traveled to another section of the Acropolis. It was a mix between a study and a studio. Here various paintings, sculptures, and other artistic endeavors of the future President would be stored. All of it was done by hand and with real materials. There was also a library of physical books, they were all the last copies of books he had burned or digitized. But he kept the physical on hand in case he wished to enjoy the feel of a book.

As much as he enjoyed the destruction brought about by warfare and subjugation. It paled in comparison to his love of creation and organization. He even had detailed architectural plans for a city called Daimosgrad. All the wars and conquests were simply means to grab power and resources. All steps on the path to becoming the sole ruler of all creation and bring order and fear to the masses.

The Republic in name would be an empire in execution. But his propaganda machines would make sure all the organics who choose to serve had a heroic narrative to live by. Everyone likes to be the hero of their own story. So he would exploit that for his own benefit, even if he would never see his actions or motives as heroic or justified in any way. Personal desire was all Daimos needed to drive him forward.

Meanwhile in Nightshade's pen a little furry creature, no bigger than a hamster, was dropped in. Her breath sent a gaseous purple cloud that caused the creature to shake in fear. She used just enough to cause chills but not enough to knock him out with. So when she bit down the little one felt all of it. He squealed and squeaked and Nightshade savored the fear as she enjoyed her meal.


THE END



Book 3: Chapter 1

Book 2.5: Chapter 1

Interlude 2


2 comments:

  1. Thoth would like those measures yet he'd be wary since so many of his allies are jockeying for position.

    Sometimes its not good to be the top dog in Villains Incorporated. One does wonder if Daimos has someone or something of that nature to fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat in the form of the Abyss. In the physical universe he's full top dog. But the Abyss wants all of creation destroyed which means it's at odd with Daimos on the endgame.

      Delete