Friday, December 4, 2020

Star Warden: Slayer of Evil. Chapter 13.

 

13


Sam's mind recreated a memory from his past. He was enjoying a makeshift picnic in his father's backyard. The first half of his freshmen year of high school was behind him and Kaguya had made her annual return to Earth. Her older brother had accompanied her this trip and he got along with him; much more lively than he expected of a prince.

He also didn't expect this out of the blue marriage proposal to him. They were alone right now as the Prince and Eli went to go discuss other business inside. From everything she explained he assumed that they were going over any fine details or it was just an excuse to leave the two alone.

The entire reason behind the marriage was remarkably simple, The Emperor needed money, his father got a title and to seal it Sam would marry Kaguya. The Summer Empire's treasury was drained due to reconstruction efforts in repelling an invasion of Minotaurs and dealing with an attempted coup by a court official named Daimos. House Bailey had massive mineral wealth that could be used to fill the coffers again but the Emperor was in no position to take out a loan or be seen taking a gift.

Imperial Law strictly forbids any foreigners from holding titles or land in the Empire with the only exception if said foreigners married to native nobility or royalty. Thus the marriage would allow the Empire access to that wealth without making the Emperor look weak. A further benefit would that Eli would have full access to the Imperial Court granting the Emperor a truly loyal friend which was needed after the coup. Since Sam and Kaguya had grown into close friends over the years, an official arrangement was drawn up.

Sam's opinion on the idea was mixed. He had no objection to the marriage itself, it was to Kaguya after all, his sweet, intelligent, and beautiful best friend. He had wanted to ask her about going out, only held back by the idea of how to date an alien princess that only showed up on Earth during the Summer. Plus being married meant he got to move to Aetherium and live on an alien planet.

He would spend the rest of his life with the nicest person he ever knew, with an endearing way of speaking. He would get to protect her great smile and never see her withdrawn and despondent like they first met. She was very enthusiastic when she told him about the betrothal which was another reason why he couldn't refuse. However, accepting this meant he would have to take up a certain responsibility.

I don't think I'm cut out for being a lord. Sitting at a desk is not my idea of a future.”

“A lord's duties is more than just sitting at a desk. A lord must lead and protect those others and be an example to follow.”

Yeah, but they have to go to some fancy dinners and follow protocol. Probably gossip and talk about fashion.”

Joining the Navy will have you encounter protocols as well as ranks to deal with, will it not?”

Yeah but that's being part of the military rules and stuff. As long as I get to fly the fighter jets it will be worth it. Plus I get to help people as well, how can I help people as a Lord?”

As a lord not only will you have the freedom to act when needed, you will be able to organize and lead others to do good elsewhere. As well as give your children an excellent role model to emulate when the responsibility of leadership falls to them. You were one for me and it would be a waste not to use your talents where they are most needed.”

I was your role model?”

Yes! You inspired me to believe in myself again. You helped me become a stronger person.”

Kaguya, you were always strong. You don't become like the nicest person in the universe without being strong.”

Then you saw the inner strength that was lost to me. Even though I was lost you sought to help me and be there for me. I wanted to wallow in my own despair but you refused to let me go. All that and more is why I love you.”

The words were like the shot of a starting gun as his heart was off to the races. He did not doubt the sincerity of her words. His eyes widened and he blushed, he was not used to being on the back foot like this. Kaguya held Sam's hand and looked at him, he felt a warm comforting feeling in his heart.

I want to see you do good things for the world. All your courage and confidence put toward good work. You want to honor your mother and I wish to do the same for mine. Whatever doubts or fears you have let me relieve them, for I feel at ease if you held that power and responsibility. You and I can do good on our own but together we can do great things and in turn, help others do great as well and thus make the world a better place.”

He smiled. “You put a lot of thought about this.”

As a Princess marriage was always in my future. I had much time to think about this. I know arranged marriages are not common in your culture. But I hope I can convince you to accept me.”

Believe me I would love to marry you. I could imagine an entire life with you.” Kaguya blushed at that statement. “I mean well you're nice, you're amazingly smart, and make great art. Plus you make great food as well and I love seeing you smile all day. I wouldn't let anyone hurt you, I'm just an action guy, not a politics guy. I would sooner fight monsters than listen to king whatever complain about the other king doing shady stuff that he would totally do as well.”

Kaguya giggled. “It would be interesting to see how the lords of the realm would respond to your earnest nature on display.” Then her voice became much more somber. “If only they were earnest as you. So many of them would take advantage of one's kindness, so many who besmirched my name after my mother's death. So many who saw me as useless after I could no longer use my gifts.” 

Sam placed a tender arm around her and pulled her close to his chest. Kaguya laid her head upon it and looked into Sam's eyes.

Thank you, Lord Samuel, Sam, for saying yes. I have asked much from you, to leave your homeworld and accept an arranged betrothal. Know that I will always be grateful, you will not regret making me your wife, not for one moment.”

Then I'll give you the best husband in return.”

Sam surprised her with a strong kiss. She returned it and they held each other close as the sun began to set behind them.

Chapter 14 and 15

Chapter 12

1 comment:

  1. An interlude before more shoe drops. But this is a good way to have flashbacks to develop relationships and even have otherwise long gone family make an appearance as well.

    ReplyDelete